Friday, October 22, 2010

Honeycrisp Apples

One thing I love about autumn (and there are so many) is that apples are in season. I love a crisp juicy apple - especially one that when you take a bite the juice runs down your chin. YUMMMMM.

I love apple crisp, apple pie, and caramel apples...but my favorite is a fresh crunchy Honeycrisp apple. I like Granny Smith, Pink Lady's, Jonathan, Delicious, Golden Delicious, and Fuji - but my very favorite is the Honeycrisp. They are a little more expensive - but oh so worth it!

On Wednesday we took our weekly trip to Costco - we purchase a lot of our fresh fruit and vegetables there even though it is usually only Ray and I eating them. But between the two of us we eat a lot of fruit and vegetable and Costco always has really fresh produce. I have walked past the apples for months because there is nothing worse than a mushy apple and those that have sat in warehouses over the summer are definitely mushy. But as I walked through the boxes of produce - picking up bananas, grapes, blueberries and spinach, my eye rested on the sign - HONEYCRISP APPLES - I honestly believe I heard angels singing! LOL!

I picked up the package of the individually packed ruby treats and skipped to my shopping cart. I was so happy! It is totally the "perfect" time of year to eat apples and I could hardly wait. I paid for my purchases, loaded the back of the car, and headed home anxiously awaiting the chance to sink my teeth into one of those beautiful apples.

I unloaded the groceries, put everything away, picked out an apple, washed it, and then sat at the counter for an amazing experience...CRUNCH! Yes the apple crunched - there was no mush - the juice ran down my chin and I was in heaven. It was total bliss.

Not too long after this wonderful experience my daughter and 3 grandsons came to visit, right on her heels was my other daughter and a granddaughter. It took them only seconds to realize that I had fresh, beautiful, Honeycrisp apples. I watched as my little treasures were devoured by the masses. I know it is my own fault - I have taught them to love apples and I have even mentioned once or twice how amazing Honeycrisp apples are - so I have no one to blame but myself. Of course I do have to be happy that the fruit snacks, candy, and other fatty treats were ignored for the delicious sweetness of a fresh crunchy apple.

Isn't autumn amazing? The harvest of so many good things has begun and we are blessed to have these delicacies brought right to the grocery store down the street. We can enjoy the bounty of the whole world in our own little corner. We have so many healthy and delicious choices - it is like enjoying Thanksgiving every single day!

If you haven't tried a Honeycrisp Apple I would highly recommend that you do, but remember they will spoil you for all the other apples out there and you will be in constant pursuit of their juicy deliciousness!

Hmmmm....I think it is time for my morning snack - a Honeycrisp Apple!

Have a GREAT Friday!
Cathy

No comments: