Yesterday I had a Stress Test to see if my heart was working the way it is supposed to. I have to say that although it wasn't the worst medical test I have experienced it wasn't by any means pleasant! I couldn't help but reflect as I was laying on the gurney watching my heart on the ultrasound; just how much stress we each encounter in our daily lives. I'm not sure what I expected as I got older but I do remember thinking that my grandparents and parents didn't seem to have near the amount of stress in their lives that seems to bombard me on a daily basis. I don't know if they were able to hide it well or if perhaps life were a little bit simpler.
I remember as a young mother thinking that life was truly hard - it was difficult to take care of my three young children, to balance home, work, and life in general. I was sure that things would get easier as my children got older and more mature. Let me just say that I was wrong. Things seem to get harder each year and now that I have grandchildren I have even more stress as I worry about these little ones and what life holds for them.
I also find that my stress level increases as I realize that the things I worry about are totally out of my control!
Gratefully my stress test was positive and it looks like my heart is still pretty healthy. Of course the doctor told me to try and limit the stress in my life! I almost laughed out loud! :D)
I guess I will need to stop reading the newspaper, turn off the TV, and insulate myself from the world; because at every turn there is something new that pops up and becomes stressful!
I don't have the answer but I guess that working in my beautiful garden, reading some uplifting books, and trying to be as calm as possible are the only things I can do to counteract the stress in my life! I also think that Ray is going to have to take me fishing more often; the quiet of the lake, the rocking of the boat, and the breeze across the water is definitely a prescription for peace.
I hope that all of us can find ways to limit the stress in our lives!
What is your prescription???
2 comments:
YOGA!!!
You should check out the book, "A Prescription For Peace." It provides a nuts and bolts solution to the issues that face the world. The solutions will bring a lot less stress into the world...
http://www.amazon.com/Prescription-Peace-Practical-Guide/dp/1427631239/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214768684&sr=8-1
Post a Comment