Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hunting, Halloween, and Kidneys!

It's been over a week since my last post - I have busy, busy, busy and throw in a little bit of time and energy for sickness and hopefully that explains why I have been such a slacker. Last week Ray and Randy went Elk hunting at Dutch John near Flaming Gorge. Randy had a cow elk tag so they headed out on Wednesday night. The heater didn't work in the trailer and it was COLD at that elevation. Ray said that he shivered all night long - gratefully they found the problem the next day and they were able to have heat for the remainder of the trip.

They got up bright and early and headed out in the Jeep - they decided to do a little hiking. At about 8:00 AM they spotted a herd of elk - Randy tried to talk himself out of shooting; knowing that they would have to pack the meat out quite a ways but of course you don't know if you will get another opportunity. So he shot one of the cows - he was probably right to second guess shooting that elk but he and Ray ended up having a great adventure getting the meat off the mountain. Ray said that they loaded up their backpacks and started the 2 mile hike out. When they would get too exhausted to take another step they would just fall down and rest - then they would look like two turtles trying to stand back up! I wish I would have been there to see it - but I'm glad I didn't have to carry out any meat! LOL

After that wild adventure they both slept warm and snug that night - in fact Ray can hardly remember getting into bed he said that he was so tired.

Randy kindly gave Ray the meat that he hauled out so this past weekend we spent a lot of time cutting up meat, making elk burger, and jerky. The hunting and enjoying nature is truly the fun part of being in the great outdoors - but the work really begins when the meat is harvested.

Saturday was the Utah game - they played Air Force - we did a tailgate with some yummy turkey chili that Ray made. He is an amazing cook! We got to see a wonderful fly over and the game was close and exciting throughout. Gratefully the Utes won in overtime. It was GREAT!

Sunday we got up and prepared our SS lesson then headed to church. We have the 14 to 17 year old youth in our class and the 12 to 14 year old teachers weren't there so we had their kids added to our class. We had about 15 kids - it was a big class.

After church we went home and I wasn't feeling well. We ate some leftover chili and then I went to bed. I slept for 2 hours and when I woke up I still didn't feel well. Ray made us some cedar plank blue marlin and grilled asparagus for dinner. We cleaned up and watched a little TV then went to bed about 8:30 PM.

Monday I felt a little bit better but as the day wore on I got sicker and sicker. I went to the doctor and found that I had a kidney infection. No wonder I was so tired and achy.

Last night Ray and I went shopping for all of the stuff for our annual Halloween party. We have all of our kids and grandkids over to carve pumpkins and eat some yummy food. It also gives us a chance to see their costumes. I am excited to have them all there. Pam made a really great costume for Tommy he is the werewolf - I've seen some pictures of it but I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

Brenden is the transformer Bumblebee
Bridger is a Motocross driver
Bracken is a scarecrow
MaKayla is Supergirl
Melody is a witch
Miranda is a pink butterfly

I will definitly post pictures of the party tomorrow.
Hope everyone is looking forward to a fun and safe Halloween!

No comments: