When I was 18 years-old I fell in love with an amazing man. I actually met him for the first time at a high school dance. He was there with one of my best friends and they had been dating for a couple of months. It was interesting that she ended up dancing with all of his friends and I ended up sitting out most of the dances talking to him. We both graduated from high school and after summer vacation I headed to college in St. George, UT. I came home in November for a dentist appointment - I needed to have my wisdom teeth removed so I was there for the initial consultation. While I was home I received a phone call from Ray asking me to a Loggins and Messina concert at the University of Utah. I was a little hesitant to say yes because he had been dating my dear friend and I didn't know how that would all play out. As I was trying to make up my mind a still small voice that sounded very much like my mother whispered in my ear, "All's fair in love and war - she would do it to you in a heartbeat." So with that good advice I accepted - after all it was just a date to a concert and I liked Loggins and Messina.
I wasn't prepared for how much I was going to like this guy - he showed up on my doorstep in a baby blue western cut shirt and levi's. He was wearing Frye boots and had the cutest smile I had ever seen. His rosy cheeks and hazel eyes captured my heart with the first hello.
The date was really fun and the goodnight kiss on my front porch curled my toes!
The next day I was off to school and I didn't know if I would be seeing Ray anytime soon. I came home a few weeks later to actually have my wisdom teeth out and to attend my sister's wedding shower. I had my teeth out on a Friday and on Saturday I went to the mall with my sister and mom to to pick out a shower gift. I was exhausted from the surgery the day before and so I decided to sit down on a bench in the middle of the mall. There I was with swollen bruised cheeks eating an ice cream cone. I'm sure I looked really hot! LOL One of Ray's friends came walking by - he stopped and we talked for a few minutes. Then he left and I didn't think too much about it. But before long he came back with Ray in tow - he sat down and we chatted for a few minutes and then he asked me out again. I told him that I couldn't go out that night because I had to go to my sister's wedding shower. She came out of the store right at that moment and insisted that I go on the date and not worry about her shower. Does this seem like the fates were working on something?
So we went out to a movie and then for an ice cream sundae because I was still swollen and sore from the tooth extraction. The movie we went to see was a John Wayne picture - "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" after we had settled in our seats my dad and two brothers wandered into the theater - they had decided to go to a movie while the ladies were at the shower. So here I was on my second date with this really cute guy and my dad and brothers were sitting a few rows behind us. Ray had to have been the most patient person - he didn't even act like it might be a bother to have my dad right there behind us. The movie was great - in fact it is still one of my favorites and Ray was so sweet. I had been homesick at school before I started dating Ray but after this second date it was really hard to go back to school. I finished the semester but I didn't last any longer than that. I was smitten!
I want you to know that I am still smitten with this amazing man! I love him more today than I did the day we got married and he can still make my heart jump. I am so blessed to be married to my sweetheart, my confidant, and my best friend. Sometimes it feels like we just finished that second date and I can hardly believe that we have been married for 33 years. Happy Anniversary Sweeheart! I love you a bushel and a peck!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment