Friday, June 25, 2010

The Hoesch Chicken Farm!







This is how the chickens started - aren't they adorable? They are not so tiny and helpless anymore....

I just wanted to share a funny story...as many of you know I have gotten myself into the chicken business. I've decided that I want to have fresh healthy eggs so my hubby and I built a chicken mansion (it started out as a coop but it has transformed into a mansion, LOL), we purchased 6 little chicks 4 black and 2 fuzzy yellow, we bought feed and a water container, and started our little "chicken ranch".

Well...the chicks have turned into feather coated teenagers, with little combs on their heads, they are much better at scratching the ground for food and they are starting to look like real chickens. My grandkids love them and we have been having so much fun watching them interact with these little creatures.

This past week my hubby has been working out of town so it has fallen to me to not only feed and water our little friends, but also to clean out their coop. Part of the process of cleaning out the coop includes getting them to go outside so you can get in and sweep everything out. There is a cute little chicken door with a ramp to get them outside. They are not the smartest animals in the world so you have to "help" them figure out how to get out the door. It took me about 20 minutes to convince them that going out the door was the best idea possible.

After cleaning out the coop and doing some other yardwork - with my cute little dog "babysitting" the chickens and making sure they didn't go where they shouldn't - I decided that I had better get the chickens back in the coop before it got dark.

Let the Chicken Wrangling begin! I'm sure it was quite a sight as I ran after and cornered each chicken then picked them up and put them in the little chicken door (there was no way they were going to walk up the ramp of their own free will). They wanted to stay outdoors and they weren't going to make it easy on me. They flapped their wings and fought me every step of the way. I wish I'd had a video camera going I'm sure I would have won America's Funniest!

When the last chicken was in the coop I breathed a huge sigh of relief and then this great feeling settled over me...I did it!!! I not only got all of the chickens out of the coop and got it all cleaned but I got them all back in too - all by myself! I am amazing!!! You couldn't have wiped the smile off my face. I quickly went in the house found the phone and called Ray to brag about my huge accomplishment.

I am looking forward to some really good fresh eggs in the very near future. I am so excited to continue to learn more about these little chickens; I am finding out that they are very interesting birds. I love that I feel like I can start something like this and have the excitement of this new adventure. I hope that you are finding new adventures every day in your quest to be the healthiest, happiest you possible!

No comments: