Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Umbrella

Saturday was a very busy day - we went to Brenden's last soccer game up in Layton. It is so fun to see these little ones as they learn this difficult game. I was very impressed with the changes that took place from the first game of the season to the last. Brenden made a goal and he was totally in the game - he understands the basics and he is very coordinated. I'm sure glad that he didn't get his coordination from his grandma! After the game he was awarded a trophy and he was so excited. I'll have to remember to download some of the pictures.

After the game we went to a nursery to purchase some plants for the garden and then we went to Patti and Bryan's to see the new trees that they planted in their front yard. We all decided to meet at our house for a BBQ later that afternoon and then go over to Murray Park for the Army Band Concert and fireworks to celebrate Armed Forces Day.

On my back deck I have a beautiful table and chair set that we purchased from Sun Valley. I would love to have the opportunity to use this furniture and the deck more often - one of the drawbacks has been the fact that our deck isn't covered; so all too often we end up with more sun than we would like to visit and eat outside. I came up with a great solution. I would buy an umbrella for the table. Of course I got this great idea right before the kids were to come over for the BBQ on Saturday. I found a wonderful deal on a Market Umbrella at Bed Bath and Beyond. Kelli and I had to run some errands to pick up some last minute items so she went with me to pick up the umbrella. We decided on a rust colored umbrella with a brown stripe around the edges. I decided to get the smaller one so that it would fit perfectly on our deck.

We hurried home and I asked Ray to help me get the umbrella in place. We opened the box and the pole for the umbrella was missing. I was so disappointed! So we ended up running out of time and we had to have our BBQ without the umbrella.

Yesterday I had my nail appointment after work and then I went home, ate dinner, and them recruited Ray to come with me to Bed Bath and Beyond to return the umbrella. I asked if we could open the box before we took the new umbrella from the store. It too had no pole. We finally opened a box with a different color umbrella and found a pole. Then Ray decided that although we have a sort of stand in the center of our table we still might need a little heavier stand to keep the umbrella in place. So we bought a really nice wrought iron stand. We got home and then the fun really started. We had trouble with the pole fitting together and when Ray finally got it all set it was way too tall. So Ray had to take it apart and take the pole with him to work today to cut off about a foot. YIKES! I'm beginning to wonder if we are ever going to have an umbrella to shade our deck.

On a happier note the BBQ was really fun, the grandkids got to run through the sprinklers before the concert and cool off, the music was great, and the recognition of some of the wonderful men who served in WWII was very touching and it made me even more grateful for the amazing people who have served our country and continue to serve so selflessly to defend the freedoms that we hold so dear, and to try to destroy tyranny throughout the world. I will always be grateful for these brave men and women.

The fireworks were a wonderful preview to the celebrations that we will enjoy throughout the upcoming summer. They also gave everyone in attendance ice cream bars, and Ben and Jerry's pints of ice cream. It was a wonderful end to a great day.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

that does sound like a wonderful day. I can just picture the umbrella. Love you!
Emilee