Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Little Things

I thought that I was completely and madly in love with my sweet Ray and that I pretty much knew exactly how he would react in just about any situation. After 31+ years of marriage he can still surprise and delight me!

This past weekend I had the wonderful experience of watching him be the best grandpa ever. We were asked by Patti and Bryan to watch the two older boys while they went on an anniversary honeymoon for two days. Ray and I talked about what we could do to make the boys stay not only fun but memorable as well. Ray decided that we would set up the tent and have a camp out in our backyard.

Kelli and Marc went to a big concert on Friday night so MaKayla stayed with us as well and ended up participating in the festivities. We started the evening by taking the kids to their favorite restaurant - Spaghetti Factory - it was so fun to spend some special time with them and to ask them questions during dinner. Kids say the greatest things! After dinner we headed to the grocery store and bought all of the fixings for S'mores. When we got home we took the kids out to the backyard and let them help us put up the tent. Ray did all of the work and the kids and I did our best to make it more difficult! :D)

Once the tent was set-up it was time for jammies; then each of the kids picked their favorite book for grandpa to read. We laughed and enjoyed each of the stories and the kids fought over who got to sit on grandpa's lap.

Then the kids told us some wonderful stories that they made up. What an amazing outlook they have on life.

Then we headed to the BBQ grill to roast marshmallows and make S'mores. They were delicious. By this time it was almost 11:00 PM so after teeth were brushed the kids headed to the tent for a good night's sleep. They were all asleep in no time - I wish I could say the same thing; I ended up tossing and turning all night. Finally at 4:00 AM I decided that I had had enough and went into the house to my own bed. Ray stayed in the tent and slept with the kids until they got up at 6:30 AM. That is when they decided to head into the house and jump on grandma!

We had a wonderful blueberry breakfast because blueberries are Brenden's favorite. Blueberry pancakes and blueberry muffins were yummy and hit the spot.

I had a wedding shower for my niece so Ray took all three kids to McDonald's for lunch even though he was really tired. They had a wonderful time and like the Energizer Bunny they kept going and going!

We made homemade pizza for dinner and the boys got to help. We also made root beer floats to go with the pizza - we had some amazing food for our weekend adventure.

Later on Saturday we took the boys miniature golfing and they had a wonderful time. Bridger kept telling me that I had a speedy ball and he kept calling Ray "Dude" and telling him that he was awesome. Bridger is 4 years old so that was pretty funny!!!

Anyway...I have decided that Ray is the best grandpa ever! He even said that we will have more sleepovers and spend time with each of the grandkids as they become potty trained. The best part of the weekend was when mom and dad got back and the kids didn't want to go home - there is something to be said for leaving them wanting more!!!!

What a great blessing to be grandparents and to be able to enjoy some of the little things that life has to offer and to give these little guys some amazing memories.

No comments: