Wednesday, July 23, 2008

To Good Health

Good Health is a wonderful thing - I guess that I haven't always appreciated it as much as I have over the last few months. Feeling ill can take a toll on so many areas of your life and once you have experienced ill health you look forward to and are so grateful for every minute of being healthy.

It was interesting that the topic of conversation for the Oprah show yesterday was taking control of your health and your life. Dr. Oz was the guest and he said that there is no reason that we shouldn't be living longer lives - in fact he said that we should be able to live healthy, happy lives to 100 and beyond. Can you imagine being a healthy active 100 year-old?

What a blessing to be active in our children and grandchildren's lives, to have more time to explore this amazing world that we live in, to have the strength and energy to do the things that we need and want to do - even in our old age.

Of course there are some things that we need to be doing to make this come to pass. We need to be exercising, eating good foods, staying away from things that we know are bad for us like cigarettes and alcohol, and they also said that people who are married and spend time with their families are healthier.

They took 100 people and ran them through a variety of tests and there was only 1 who passed with flying colors. 80 people were in the average range and 19 were in the low range. I guess the whole excercise was to illustrate that we all need to try a little harder and with a few adjustments we can all enjoy a much healthier life.

Anyway...I am working on making my life a little more healthy - I am walking a few days a week, I am trying to eat healthier foods, and I am really working on taking stress out of my life. Of course the last things is the hardest to adjust - but hopefully it will get better everyday!

I am grateful for every minute of health and for the family and friends who help me enjoy it!

No comments: