Smog - YIKES I can't stand it anymore! We are 12 days into January and we have been battling smog for at least 10 of those days. Yesterday they said that Utah and more specifically the Wasatch Front was #1 on the EPA's most smoggy cities. We were worse than LA - WHAT!? Every January we face the same conundrum - cold and polluted. We still need to drive to work, and even though we are told not to warm up our cars when the temperature dips into the single digits you have to warm up your car before you drive or your engine will fall out!
Of course they don't take into consideration the fact that the sun hasn't shown its face for days and the resulting demetia that sets in from lack of heat and light makes all of us a little crazy and a little bit depressed.
I know that surrounding this valley are beautiful mountain peaks - I just can't understand how something so big could just disappear from view! I know that somewhere above this inversion there is blue sky and sunshine - oh to have a sunny day!
I am grateful that I work in a cubicle surrounded by other cubicles so I don't have the chance to glance outside and see the depressing gray air. I have often thought that working in a cubicle wasn't the most desirable location but today - I've decided that maybe, just maybe it isn't so
bad!
The weatherman predicted some wind today - perhaps enough to scour the air and bring us a winter storm. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is right. I have a couple of hours before I must go outside again...so just in case I'm working my jaws in preparation of chewing some air.
I love living here 11 months of the year - I think next year I will plan my vacation in January - I really wouldn't miss the smog! Ahhh...a nice warm beach in Mexico, a lovely cruise in the Caribbean, even a rainy day in Hawaii sounds better than dealing with the smog!
Gratefully I have a short memory and once February gets here I will start to forget how miserable the smog really is. By March when spring starts showing up I'm sure I will once again be grateful for this beautiful place that I live. Until then...Argggh!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment