Friday, March 7, 2008

Lasik

This past week has been a busy one - Tuesday I went to the Moran Eye Center for their free forum on Lasik Surgery. Tuesday was also Marc's birthday and I had forgotten that I had promised Kelli to watch MaKayla when they went out to dinner. I also forgot that the Utes were playing their last home game that night. So Ray and I went to the forum with MaKayla - I was a little nervous about taking her but I shouldn't have been - she was an angel through the whole presentation and she was actually pretty interested in the movie about the eye surgery. She makes me laugh!

After the forum we hurried down to the Huntsman Center to watch the Utes play, we only missed the first 10 minutes of the game so I didn't feel too bad about that. It was Senior Night and they played Colorado State - the Utes totally dominated the game. About half way through the game I noticed that I didn't have my watch - YIKES! I had taken it off during the video at the Moran Eye Center so MaKayla could play with it. Apparently it had been dropped and left behind.

This watch is a really nice Citizen Eco Drive so it is really expensive - Ray gave it to me for Christmas. I was just sick! After the game we headed back up to the Eye Center to see if perhaps it might still be open. It wasn't open but there was a phone by the front door for emergencies. I called the number and was connected to the main operator at University Hospital, the operator connected me to Security and they sent someone over to open the door and let me in. I couldn't believe how cordial everyone was and how willing they were to help me. Maybe there was a little bit of desperation in my voice!

When I hung up the phone one of the cleaning people was just getting ready to leave, I told them that what had happened and they let me in the building and I was able to go to the auditorium and I found my watch under the chair that MaKayla had been sitting on. I was so happy!!!

I went back out and called the operator again - who connected me with security. I was able to thank them profusely and soon we were once again on our way home.

In all of the craziness I had promised MaKayla that I would get her a treat for being so good during the forum. Last night at Smith's she reminded me - I asked her what she wanted and she showed me some Buzz Lightyear sunglasses that she wanted. I snapped them up and paid for them. The sun had gone down but she wore them home anyway - in fact she might have worn them to bed last night.

As a follow-up - I am going to go in for the three hour exam on the 25th to make sure I am a candidate for Lasik. I am hoping that I can have the continued mono vision that I started with my contacts. That way I will only need to have one eye treated. I'll have to do another follow-up as this process moves forward. I do have to say that the people at the Moran Eye Center were amazing and I feel very comfortable trusting my eyes to them.

The only issue that I have run into is that I can't wear my contacts for 3 weeks before the exam because your eyes form to the contacts and they need them to be "normal" when you are checked. So I am getting used to wearing glassed again for a few weeks. I'm sure that it will all be worth it!

No comments: