I read a lot of books in fact I hate not having a book to read. I have had the great opportunity over the past year to read books that my daughters have recommended and to share in the great experience of a book review with them when we have all finished. "Water for Elephants" was one of those books that we all enjoyed - Ray joined in on this one and really enjoyed it as well. My dad reads a lot of books and he too recommends great books for me to read - he is basically the library for the top best sellers and it is great! So I was surprised to find a book that was so entertaining and enlightening that none of these people have read yet!
My friend Syd who works with me has been reading "The Secret Life of Bees" and although I had heard that there was a movie made from this book I didn't really know the story or understand what it was all about. Syd lent me her copy of the book and I couldn't put it down. It is an amazing story set in the south during the Civil Rights movement. It is told from the point of view of a 14 year old white girl who tragically lost her mother when she was only 4 years old. She has been raised by a kind black woman and her very strict and abusive father. It is a book that looks at prejudice and all of the things that make us different, but also the many things that bring us together and make us very much alike. I loved this book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a good read. It is also a great look at the historical aspects of the early 60's and the turmoil that our nation was facing as rural America took on the challenge of equality.
A beekeeper and the art of beekeeping takes a central role in helping this young woman find out who she is and that she is lovable and important in a very different family setting.
If you are looking for a good book this is definitely one that I would recommend!
No comments:
Post a Comment