I dated a number of guys in high school and even college but I was never really in love with anyone but my sweet Ray. We met when he was dating one of my best friends in high school. She wanted her friends to meet his friends at a stomp at Murray High School. She spent the night dancing with his friends and he and I spent the night talking. I knew that I couldn't date him so I got on with my life...graduated high school and headed to Dixie College. On a cool November evening I found myself home from school for a dentist appointment (wisdom teeth) and I received a phone call from Ray. He told me that he and Alanea had broken up and that he wanted to take me to the Loggins and Messina concert. I was reluctant until my mom told me that I should go...in fact these are her exact words; "She would do it to you in a minute - just remember that all is fair in love and war!" LOL!
We went to the concert - he picked me up in his Red Pickup Truck - he was wearing Levi's, a quilted blue western shirt, and Frye boots. What a handsome guy! The concert was great, we held hands and I felt like I never wanted to let go. We went to dinner afterwards at China Village and then there was the sweetest kiss goodnight at the front door. I was smitten!
I had to head back to school but lucky for me I was scheduled to come home for Thanksgiving to have my wisdom teeth out. I just happened to be at the Mall on the Saturday after my surgery with my mom and sister. There I sat with my chipmunk cheeks eating an ice cream cone and before I knew it Ray was there too asking me out on a date. He and his friends had been hanging out at the mall. We went to see "Rooster Cogburn and the Lady" and my dad and brothers sat 4 rows behind us. Unbeknownst to us they had planned to go and see the same movie. Afterwards we went for a hot fudge sundae and as they say the rest is history. 35 years later we are celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary, we have three beautiful daughters and 9 amazing grandchildren. I am so grateful everyday that he is my sweetheart, husband, best friend, and First Love!

No comments:
Post a Comment