Thursday, March 24, 2011

Someone Who Fascinates You

I loved reading Joyce Farnsworth's blog about dictators a few weeks ago.  She always has such a fresh take on some really quirky subjects - I love it!  I can't think of a dictator who fascinates me but I have been fascinated by the reaction that Jimmer Fredette has had over all of Provodom.  I know a kind of quirky comparison - but hear me out. 

Here is this young college guy who at first glance looks pretty average.  He has a curly mop of hair and he's white so looking at him you would never in a thousand years expect him to be a great basketball player.  He runs up and down the court flat footed and yet he can shoot the basketball from all over the court and swish nothing but net!  He seems humble and always gives his teammates credit - he really is unlike most of the young college athletes that we see today.   A good example of what a basketball player should be.  No argument there.  The fascination isn't really with Jimmer himself but with the firestorm of idol worship that follows him. 

I have read some facebook pages where BYU fans liken him to a savior.  Some of the comments have even gotten close to sacrilege.  I also question his decision not to serve a mission for his church when the leaders have specifically stated that ALL young men should do so.  Yet I constantly hear that he is already serving his mission...what exactly has he sacrificed for this mission?  Did he give up 2 years of school?  Did he leave his family?  Did he give up dating?  Did he give up basketball?  This statement of his "mission" is really a slap in the face to all of the missionaries who have served and are currently serving and sacrificing many important things in their lives to serve the Lord.  Hmmm....

I know many of you will point to the fact that I am a tried and true dyed in the wool U of U fan and so my opinion is somewhat skewed.  Perhaps that is true.  I don't hold any ill will for Jimmer and his team - in fact I am hoping that they go deep in the tournament and make BYU proud.  I hope Jimmer has a wonderful career in basketball post college and that he is successful in all his life endeavors.  I just wonder if there are other young men out there who are really good in sports and are watching this drama unfold who will believe that if they can make a difference in their chosen sport they don't need to follow the counsel of their leaders - it will be okay if they don't serve a mission because their talents for sports are more important. 

In a few months Jimmermania will die down, we'll all get back to our "normal" lives.  BYU will become independent and the U of U will go to the PAC 12.  Both schools will continue to recruit young LDS men who are good in sports - life will go on and things will be fine.  I just wonder if one day Jimmer will look back and wish that he had followed the council of a prophet?

Fascinating....huh?

1 comment:

Patti :) said...

Way to use the challenge to get your opinion about Jimmermania out there. LOL I love your take on all of these topics- I wish I was as creative as you when it comes to writing.