I started thinking about this a couple days ago and there are lots of people and things that I miss but I wanted to share a memory food from my childhood - Sarah's Pies!
In particular Sarah's Chicken Pot Pie...mmm my mouth waters just thinking about it. These were individual pies that were baked in a pan similar to a cupcake pan. They were not in individual aluminum pie tins - in fact they weren't in pie tins at all. They had a complete pie crust that was flaky and delicious the "perfect" consistancy for pie crust. Inside these delectable little pockets of flaky dough was chicken and gravy. No vegetables, potatoes or anything extra - just chicken and gravy. The gravy was AMAZING and there was a big side container of the gravy to pour over the pies right before you ate them. The chicken was always tender and juicy, the gravy was always perfect and it was the most wonderful treat to have my dad bring these home for dinner. Of course when I was younger I thought that there would always be a Sarah's Pies (they also served wonderful sweet pies as well). It was something that would always be a part of my life. Sadly when "Sarah" got older and turned the business over to her children things didn't go so well and soon the bakery closed its doors. I miss the chicken pot pies of my childhood. I have tried to replicate these delicious little treats to no avail. I don't know what the secret was to make them so perfect - I wish I did!
So tucked away in the recesses of my memory is a craving for Sarah's Chicken Pot Pie. I would LOVE to sink my teeth into that golden deliciousness. As you can tell I miss these little pies and all of the great memories that go with them.
What do you miss?
No comments:
Post a Comment