Today is my sister's birthday and I have had a little bit of nostalgia as I think about the many things that we have shared over the years. Lori is my big sister and she has always been very protective of me. She is an amazing woman who has faced much adversity in her life but kept her sense of humor and that beautiful smile that lights up a room. What a blessing she has been for me and for our entire family.
I loved remembering the years that we shared a room and some great secrets that only sisters can share. Lori always included me in the things that she did with her friends. I was never looked at as the bratty little sister, I was always an equal.
Lori being the oldest spent many days and nights as the baby sitter. I loved that she had the bulk of the responsibility - I'll never forget the day that Tom and Randy set the basement on fire. Lori was a mess but she handled things like a pro and didn't fall apart until after the fire was out and everything was okay. She has always had a really calm demeanor and has been able to handle difficulties with poise and grace.
Of course as the years have passed and life has intruded on us we don't spend as much time together as we used to. Lori has a great job at the University Hospital and she works very hard and puts in some really long hours. She also has a husband and nine children that need her attention and love. Of course when we talk on the phone or see each other at a family function it is like no time has passed at all.
I am grateful for my sister and for the example that she has always set for me, for the love and support that she gives me and for the knowledge I have that she would do anything for me. If you don't have a sister I'm sad for you - I have two and a bunch of sisters-in-law who make my life so much better. If you do have a sister hold on to her and keep the lines of communication open she will be a blessing in your life forever!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORI!
1 comment:
You are right, sisters are a blessing. I am the lucky one though...to have a sister that has a tender heart, a love for nature, an energy and passion for family, and a generous and loving spirit. Thank you, Cathy, for being all that I could possibly want or ask for in a sister. And thank you for being my friend.
Post a Comment