Thursday, December 13, 2007

Cold, cold and more cold

It is not supposed to be this cold yet! I admit that I love the snow for Christmas but I really could do without the bitter, bitter cold. This isn't supposed to happen until the first of the year! January is usually the bitter cold month!

I am grateful that we haven't had the horrible inversion yet this winter. It is so depressing when you can't see the sky, the mountains, or your neighbors house!

Our neighbors have a Christmas tradition that we are going to miss this year and it makes me really sad. There is a cul-de-sac in our neighborhood and they set up a table and light a fire in a huge barrel and fill the table with treats and hot chocolate. Then everyone bundles up and meets at the fire and sings Christmas carols. It is always a wonderful event. I'm sure that everyone will have to really be bundled up this year because it is so very cold. The kids love it when it snows and they end up playing in the snow, throwing snowballs, and building snowment. It is almost a postcard moment and it is a great way for us to get to know our neighbors better. I will miss it because we have another really fun holiday tradition and they both ended up being on the same night.

We try to attend the Tabernacle Choir's Christmas program every year. I didn't think that this was a big deal until we invited some friends who moved to Utah from another state. They said that they had grown up listening to the choir and couldn't believe that they were actually sitting in the Conference Center and listening to them live. I guess when something is so easily accessible we take it for granted. This year all of my children will be going with us - it will be an adults only night and I'm looking forward to it. It will give us the opportunity to see the lights on Temple Square as well. If you haven't seen the lights and the nativity and Christmas story there it is totally worth your time and will add to the Christmas spirit. Of course we will have to dress warmly for this event too!

I am grateful for all of the fun traditions that revolve around this wonderful time of year. I am grateful for good friend and neighbors that have such wonderful ideas, and I am very grateful for the chance to spend time with my family and to forge bonds and memories that will last for generations to come.

I may not be very grateful for the cold...but I am grateful for the snow and for this amazing season.

No comments: