Monday, December 17, 2007

The Music of the Season

This past weekend was truly filled with the music of Christmas. We attended the Tabernacle Choir Christmas Program on Sunday morning. It was really amazing! The songs touched my heart and filled the Conference Center with some glorious music. The orchestra, the organ, and the singers all performed flawlessly and the dancers were amazing. It was a beautiful production. The guest singers - The Kings Singers - sang some wonderful accapella numbers their voices blended seamlessly as they sang some old favorites and some new songs that I hadn't heard before - of course they were probably very old songs but I hadn't heard them before. There were some amazing costumes, beautiful shiny instruments, a gorgeous "English" background, starry nights, and beautiful floral arrangements. It was truly a wonderful program that added to the Christmas spirit.

Last night we had out annual Christmas sing-along for our neighborhood. The Lloyd family for years has invited the entire neighborhood to their home to drink hot chocolate, enjoy treats, and sing some of our Christmas favorites. They build a fire in a barrel and we stand around with our good friends and neighbors and share the holiday spirit. It was a wonderful evening and the voices raised together in song was a great bonding opportunity for these people who live so close together and share so much. I loved the Choir concert in all its perfection and I loved our neighborhood get-together even more for its imperfection; although I thought that the voices of these dear friends melted together in the most amazing way. What a blessing to live in an area where I am surrounded by such good people.

On Saturday night Ray and I took some time out of our busy holiday schedule and watched "The Christmas Story" and "The Notebook" together. It was so nice sitting in our family room with the tree lit, the fire going in the fireplace, and the quiet of our home. Sometimes we need these moments of quiet reflection to help us get through the craziness of this season.

I hope that you have enjoyed the carols of the season and felt the joy of lifting your voice in song and singing some of these wonderful favorites.

No comments: